When potential clients, current customers and even your colleagues see your headshot – what do they see? Is it the same thing you see?
These days we are all building a brand of some sort and a quality headshot is a must! In many cases it is your photo alone that influences someone to either engage or continue swiping..
However, getting professional headshots taken can be quite a daunting experience for many. We all think we aren’t photogenic enough, our hair isn’t right, we think we are too tall/too short/too shy – and the list goes on..
Well, I’m here to tell you that none of this makes any sense – a good photographer should be able to create a fun and relaxed experience for you and ensure you walk away with a headshot you will be super-excited with – one you will want to share around!
Here are a few tips and tricks to break down the process for you..
PREPARING FOR YOUR HEADSHOT SESSION
You can’t just shave, put your makeup on and turn up – there are lots to think about and discuss with your photographer first!
- Think about what color background you would like and what would fit in with your site – black, white, grey, color
- Do you want classic portrait orientation head and shoulders? Or from the waist up? Maybe landscape orientation to include more of the setting?
- Indoor (studio-style) or outdoors..
- Colour or B&W – or both?
- Choose an outfit that will match your chosen background and your site colors – avoid busy outfits
- Glasses or no glasses?
POSING DURING YOUR HEADSHOT SESSION
Now comes the fun part – posing and working with your photographer 🙂
- Photos taken from a slightly higher angle with a longer focal length are generally more slimming
- Same for the body turned at a slight angle
- Push your forehead forward while keeping your chin down – feels strange but makes all the difference to give you that lovely jawline
- Smile or not to smile – this depends on what the photo is for – think about what message you want to send.
- What do you do with your hands? There are a million different poses that your photographer can show you
- Which is your best side? With women it’s usually the side they choose to part their hair – take both sides though – you never know which photo will have the “magic”
- Is your tie done up properly – is your shirt creased?..
CHOOSING YOUR FINAL HEADSHOT
It’s always fun to look through the proofs – but what should you be looking for exactly?
- Look for a photo that exudes the message you want to send
- The eyes and mouth usually give it away!
- Show it to friends and family to get a second opinion..
There you have it!
If you take into account these little gems you should be able to work with your photographer to create a sensational headshot that will leave them wanting more!..